Monday, December 29, 2014

Dynamics GP DPS: Error initializing Process Server

By Steve Endow

I know that very few customers use the Dexterity Process Server (or Distributed Process Server?) (let's just call it DPS), but I thought I would document this in case some other lucky person runs into this issue.

When I launch DPS.exe and open a Dynamics.set file, I get the message "Error initializing Process Server".


DPS then crashes with this "BEX" error.


I tried rebooting the server, but no luck.

After scratching my head for several minutes, I was almost ready to give up and try reinstalling GP when I thought of one last thing.

The server I was using has User Account Control (UAC) enabled at the default value.  So I tried launching DPS.exe using Run As Administrator.


Fortunately, that resolved the error!

I have seen so many strange errors and unexplained symptoms that were ultimately resolved by using Run As Administrator or disabling User Account Control.

While I understand the concept of UAC, the implementation and side effects are far from ideal.

Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter




No comments: